Historic Markers Across Florida



The Attack on Fort Myers



Marker ID: FLHM F-297
Location: Lee County Library grounds
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 26° 38.380    W 081° 51.970
  26.63966666    -81.86616666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40JM
 



Text:

In December 1863, the Army post of Fort Myers, inactive since 1858, was reoccupied. The fort served as a supply depot for the Federal blockade squadron. Troops from the fort often raided Confederate supply depots in the state´s interior, since Florida beef fed the Confederate army. To discourage these raids, Confederate Major William Footman led 275 men of Florida´s "Cow Cavalry" from Fort Thompson (LaBelle) to the very gates of Fort Myers. Shortly after noon of February 20, 1865, Major Footman approached the fort under a flag of truce and gave the Federals 20 minutes to surrender. After Captain James Doyle, commander of the garrison which consisted of the Union 2nd Florida Cavalry, the 110th New York Infantry, and the 2nd U.S. Colored Infantry, refused, the Confederates bombarded the fort with their field piece. They were answered by Fort Myers´ three cannons. The cannonade and musketry continued until after nightfall, when Footman and his Confederates withdrew under cover of darkness. Casualties on both sides were light.

Sponsors: sponsored by col. Abraham C. Myers Camp #1322 Sons of Confederate Veterans in Cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Ft. Myers, FL