Historic Markers Across Florida



Henry Ford



Marker ID:  
Location: 2350 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers, FL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 26° 38.067    W 081° 52.804
  26.63445    -81.88006666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Henry Ford
July 30, 1863 - April 7, 1947



In 1914, Thomas Edison invited Henry Ford, wife Clara, and son Edsel to the Edison Florida estate. In 1916, the Fords purchased their Fort Myers estate, The Mangoes. The Ford family visited regularly with good friends and neighbors, Thomas and Mina Edison. Time was spent discussing business and invention but also on leisure actives, such as fishing, boating, and camping. Together they explored southwest Florida in the 1916 Model T Touring car Ford gave to Edison.

This statue, by Fort Myers sculptor D. J. Wilkins, was donated to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates by patron Orvall McCleary in honor of Henry Ford on July 30, 2007.


A picture of this marker can be found on HMDB.org


Notes:

More information:
Edison & Ford Winter Estates
Thomas Edison - Thomas Edison
Wikipedia - Thomas Edison
History.com - Henry Ford
Wikipedia - Henry Ford