Historic Markers Across Florida



Tallahassee - St. Marks Railroad



Marker ID: FLHM F-20
Location: Vicinity of intersection of US-98 & SR-363
County: Wakulla
Coordinates: N 30° 22.255    W 084° 16.097
  30.37091666    -84.26828333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7BN5
 



Text:

The Tallahassee to St. Marks railroad began operations in 1837. It was owned by the Tallahassee Rail Road Company, incorporated in 1834. The road was single track, twenty-three miles long, and had mule drawn cars. In 1839 a steam locomotive was added and the line extended to Port Leon. With a seaport terminus to serve a rich agricultural hinterland, the railroad did a large volume of business in cotton during the antebellum period.

Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials - 1967


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL