Historic Markers Across Florida



Battle of Natural Bridge



Marker ID: FLHM F-143
Location: Natural Bridge State Historic Site, Natural Bridge
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 17.122    W 084° 09.138
  30.28536666    -84.1523
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7317
 



Text:

The first two sessions of the territorial legislature were held at St. Augustine and Pensacola. The hazards of traveling between cities 400 miles apart prompted legislators in 1824 to locate a new capital at Tallahassee, between the two cities. Log buildings that housed the government made way in 1826 for a two-story masonry structure. This was succeeded in 1845 by what is now the core of the present historic capitol. A dome and wings were added in 1902, and further additions made in 1923, 1936 and 1947. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and restored to its 1902 appearance in 1982.

Sponsors: Florida Department of State - 1967


Notes:

City: South of Tallahassee, FL