Historic Markers Across Florida



Saint Clement's Chapel Church of The Advent



Marker ID: FLHM F-173
Location: Piedmont Drive
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 29.302    W 084° 15.984
  30.48836666    -84.2664
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40A1
 



Text:

Built in the town of Lloyd in 1890, this Episcopal chapel was dedicated as St. Clement´s Church on June 14, 1895, by Edwin Gardner Weed, 3rd Bishop of Florida. William Betton of Tallahassee designed and built the structure at a cost of $3,500. The furnishings are the original ones, including the pine pews and reed organ. The Bishop´s Chair, oldest in Florida, dates from 1838 and is the only one in existence that the first five Bishops of Florida all used. The chapel was moved to this site and rededicated on November 29, 1959, by Edward Hamilton West, 5th Bishop of Florida.

Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials In Cooperation With The Church of the Advent


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL