Historic Markers Across Florida



Capitol of Florida



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: Monroe St. and Apalachee Parkway, on Capitol grounds
County: Leon
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Capitol site was selected before Tallahassee was founded. Three log buildings housed the government in 1824. A wing of the permanent Capitol, financed by sale of city lots, was built in 1826 but was later torn down. Another building was completed in 1845. Added in 1902 were the Capitol dome and the north and south extensions. The east and west wings were dedicated in 1922, the north wing in 1937, and the south wing in 1947.


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL