Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Pisgah



Marker ID: FLHM F-213
Location: on CR-151 (Moccasin Gap Road).
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 33.135    W 084° 09.461
  30.55225    -84.15768333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM72RZ
 



Text:

Missionaries sent by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church held services for the Centreville community settlers at this site in the early 1820´s. John Slade, known as the "Father of Methodism in Florida," organized the "Society" at Pisgah on May 3, 1830, with thirty-four charter members. During the Ante-Bellum period, Pisgah became one of the leading churches in Middle Florida. Charter members Jacob Felkel and his wife Rose Anne deeded seven acres to the church´s trustees on December 12, 1858, for $125.00. Under the leadership of presiding elder Simon Peter Richardson and the pastor, Robert Hudson Howren, the present building was erected at that time at a cost of $5,200. Pisgah is one of the oldest remaining church structures in Florida. Architecturally significant, it is representative of early church design. Special features include hand-hewn box pews and galleries lighted by clerestory windows. The new sanctuary was dedicated on May 1, 1859, by the Reverend Richardson, who returned in 1863 to serve as pastor. While at Pisgah he was elected Captain of the Centreville "Old Guard" the local home defense unit. Pisgah has served as a cultural center for the community hosting political rallies, temperance meetings, musical programs and lectures as well as religious services. Since 1924, an annual homecoming has been observed on the first Sunday in May with state-wide educational, political, or religious leaders conducting the service.

Old Pisgah United Methodist Church In Cooperation With Department of State 1973


Notes:

City: North of Tallahassee, FL