Historic Markers Across Florida



The Tallahassee Democrat



Marker ID: FLHM F-298
Location: remains of maker in storage - 4th floor, R.A. Gray Building
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 26.763    W 084° 15.704
  30.44605    -84.26173333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6Y5J
 



Text:

The Tallahassee Democrat


(side 1)
Florida's capital has never been without an alert, vigorous press. Tallahassee's first newspaper, the Florida Intelligencer, was founded on February 19, 1825, nine months before the city was incorporated. The Tallahassee Democrat traces its ancestry to March 3, 1905, when John G. Collins founded his Weekly True Democrat. He explained the name showed dedication to "true and tried doctrines of the Old Time Democracy … as distinguished from … mischievous … fads and fallacies of the day." Collins sold the

(side 2)
newspaper to Milton A. Smith in 1908. On April 6, 1915, Smith changed its name to the Daily Democrat. Lloyd C. Griscom became owner in 1929, and Knight Newspapers, Inc., purchased it on March 1, 1965. The structure you see is the newspaper's third plant, opened in May, 1968. Earlier plants were located at 115 S. Adams and 100 E. Call St.




F-298 1982



Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL