Historic Markers Across Florida



Jacksonville, Pensacola And Mobile Railroad



Marker ID: FLHM F-305
Location: on Railroad Ave south of All Saints St., Tallahassee, FL
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 26.017    W 084° 17.393
  30.43361666    -84.28988333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6VMP
 



Text:

The Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad Company Freight Depot, built in 1858, is one of the oldest railroad buildings in Florida and the oldest still used as a passenger rail station. The one-story depot was built when Tallahassee was the center of Floridas cotton trade. By 1885 the two-story addition was added. Middle Florida (now North Florida), with its rich agriculture lands, grew rapidly in the 19th century. By 1890, Leon County was the top producer of livestock, sweet potatoes, corn and cotton in the state. With cotton in great demand, Tallahassee was the regions commercial hub, shipping 16,686 bales of ginned cotton in 1860. Wagons brought the cotton from local plantations to be processed. It then went by rail to the coast for shipping. A new rail line between Pensacola and Jacksonville provided access to ports and made transporting both freight and passengers easier. In 1905 a passenger station was built across from the original one. It was used continuously until 1971 when, for the first time in 113 years, passenger service ended. Tallahassee was a freight only stop until 1992 when passenger services resumed, with the old freight depot used as the passenger station.

Leon County Board of Commissioners 2004


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL