Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Capitol of Florida



Marker ID: FLHM F-367
Location: In front of Old Capitol on Monroe St. at Apalachee Parkway
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 26.32    W 084° 16.856
  30.43866666    -84.28093333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNKH
 



Text:

Old Capitol of Florida


The first two sessions of the territorial legislature were held at St. Augustine and Pensacola. The hazards of traveling between cities 400 miles apart prompted legislators in 1824 to locate a new capital at Tallahassee, between the two cities. Log buildings that housed the government made way in 1826 for a two-story masonry structure. This was succeeded in 1845 by what is now the core of the present historic capitol. A dome and wings were added in 1902, and further additions made in 1923, 1936 and 1947. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and restored to its 1902 appearance in 1982.




F-367 1995



Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL