Historic Markers Across Florida



The Florida State University Campus



Marker ID: FLHM F-374
Location: West end of Copeland Street, Westcott Building,
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 26.449    W 084° 17.487
  30.44081666    -84.29145
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM82ZR
 



Text:

The Florida State University campus is the oldest continuously used site of higher education in the state of Florida. In 1851, the Florida Legislature authorized the establishment of two state seminaries, on east and one west of the Suwannee River. Eager to attract the western seminary, the city of Tallahassee, under the leadership of Intendent (Mayor) Francis Eppes, offered to donate four city lots on which to locate the school and provide $2,000 a year for its operation. The site chosen for the new institution was the crest of "Gallows Hill," located about a half mile west of the center of town. The West Florida Seminary opened in 1857, the first classes being held in a wood frame building erected by the city. Eppes, the grandson of Thomas Jefferson, served for eight years as president of the seminary´s governing board. In 1901, the name of the school was changed to Florida State College and in 1909 it became the Florida State College for Women. The Florida Legislature transformed the college into a fully coeducational institution in 1947, creating The Florida State University.

Sponsors: Florida Heritage Landmark Sponsored by the Florida State University and Florida Department of State Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL