Historic Markers Across Florida



Union Bank



Marker ID: FLHM F-391
Location: in storage - 4th floor of R.A. Gray Bldg.
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 26.276    W 084° 16.791
  30.43793333    -84.27985
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMP3F
 



Text:

Union Bank
Of Florida


Completed in 1841, the Union Bank is Florida's oldest surviving bank
building. The business was chartered in 1833 as a planter's bank
from which plantation owners could borrow against their land and
slave holdings. The bank operated in a private house called "The
Columns" until 1841. With John Gamble as its first and only
president, it served as Florida's major territorial bank. The bank
failed in 1843 because of crop failures, the Second Seminole
War, and unsound banking practices.
After remaining unused for nearly 25 years, the building reopened
in 1868 as the National Freedman's Saving and Trust Company,
serving emancipated slaves and refugees. Starting in 1874, the
building functioned in a variety of ways --- as a church, shoe
factory, beauty shop, and dance studio.
Originally located near the southwest corner of Adams Street
and Park Avenue, the structure was moved to this site in 1971.
The Union Bank building was restored and opened to the public
as a museum in 1984.





F-391 1998



Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL