Historic Markers Across Florida



The Exchange Bank Building



Marker ID:  
Location: 201 S. Monroe St, Tallahassee, FL
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 26.445    W 084° 16.838
  30.44075    -84.28063333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM72C9
 



Text:

The Building, when constructed in 1927, was at the forefront of the business community with such prominent tenants as LeRoy Collins (Governor of Florida 1955-1961) and B.K. Roberts (Florida Supreme Court Justice 1849-1976). At six stories, it was the tallest office building in Tallahassee until 1975. The Building is the only structure in the Original Plan of the City of Tallahassee on the Register to retain its architectural integrity and continued use for its original commercial purpose. The Building was rehabilitated in 1985 by Wilton Miller and Robert Olive.

National Park Service 1984


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL

Tallahassee EXCHANGE BANK BUILDING 201 S. Monroe St. 1927. Eclectic. Edwards and Sayward, architects. 6 stories, buff brick, limestone trim, terra-cotta wall ornamentation in a Neo-Egyptian and Greek design. The first modern private office building in Tallahassee. One of the few downtown buildings to have maintained its architectural integrity. Private. N.R. 1984.

Source: Florida Division of Historical Resources