Historic Markers Across Florida



Leon High School



Marker ID: FLHM F-698
Location: On E Tennessee St, east N Meriden St, Tallahassee, FL
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 27.205    W 084° 16.621
  30.45341666    -84.27701666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9FN2
 



Text:

The first Leon Academy opened in 1827, three years after Tallahassee´s founding, and operated until the mid-1840s. In 1869, the Leon County Board of Public Instruction established separate schools for whites and blacks. In 1871, the county opened the Leon Academy as a public school for whites and, in 1885, constructed a two-story brick building on Tennessee Street between Duval and Bronough streets. The Board of Public Instruction passed a resolution in 1903 establishing a 12-grade high school known as Leon Graded and High School. A new school was dedicated on Park Avenue in 1911. On March 27, 1927, the Board of Public Instruction purchased 31.7 acres of McDougal Pasture for $22,000. Efforts by Mode L. Stone, Tallahassee´s supervising principal of public schools, and a 1935 bond referendum and a loan from the Emergency Administration of Public Works led to the construction of the present school in 1936. Architect M. Leo Elliott designed the Mediterranean Revival/Italian Renaissance style building with its distinctive barrel tile roof with wide eaves and decorative rafter tails. The school had 50 classrooms, a cafeteria, kitchen, library and an auditorium. The new Leon High School was dedicated on May 28, 1937.

Sponsored by the Leon High School Foundation and the Florida Department of State - 2010


Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL

From the Lafayette Park Neighborhood website: "In 1824 President James Monroe approved an act of Congress granting the Marquis de Lafayette a township of land in any of the United States public domains for his services in the American Revolutionary War. An experienced land surveyor from Georgia was chosen as Lafayette’s surveyor and Lafayette decided on land in the territory of Florida where “rapidly rising land values were foreseen” which was 36 square miles in what is now Leon County.

"Prompted by financial pressures caused by France’s revolutionary war, General Lafayette sold twenty six and three quarters sections of this land (17,120 acres) on November 18, 1833 for $46, 520. Lafayette died on May 20, 1834, never having seen the land grant, and ownership of his remaining six and three quarters sections of land was transferred to his heirs who lived in France. By 1855, the Lafayette family had sold all of their interest in the original land grant to various individuals."

Interestingly, the State of Florida has three historical markers (all now reported missing) for the eastern, northern and southern boundaries of this land grant. However, this marker commemorating the western boundary was donated by the City of Tallahassee.