Historic Markers Across Florida



Florida A & M University Hospital (1911-1971)



Marker ID: FLHM F-769
Location: S Adams St at W Palmer Ave, Tallahassee, FL
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 25.621    W 084° 16.923
  30.42701666    -84.28205
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM8WB
 



Text:

The Florida A&M University Hospital
(1911-1971)


The first healthcare facility in Florida for African-Americans was the Florida A&M College (FAMC) Hospital, known as the Florida A&M University (FAMU) Hospital after 1953. The school's original two-story, 19-bed wooden sanitarium was built in 1911 (since demolished), and provided medical care to patients of all races living in Leon and surrounding counties. It was supervised by Jennie Virginia Hilyer, RN, a graduate of Freedmen's Hospital in Washington, D.C., later renamed Howard University Hospital. In 1926, Leonard H.B. Foote, MD, a graduate of Howard University Medical School of Nursing in 1936, the first baccalaureate nursing program in Florida. He led a 10-year campaign to construct a new modern brick hospital, which opened in 1950. As a major medical center, the hospital provided clinical training for students and opportunities for research. After the withdrawal of federal and state support, the doors of the historic hospital closed on December 12, 1971. Today, the hospital's legacy continues through Florida A&M University's School of Nursing, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and School of Allied Health Sciences.

The Florida A&M University,
the Meek-Eaton Black Archives and Museum and the Florida Department of State
2013



Notes:

City: Tallahassee, FL
There is a duplicate marker located at 1700 Lee Hall Dr.
There are two Florida A & M University markers, F-389 and F-396, both located in the same area.

More Information:
Wikipedia - Florida A&M University
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University - Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University