Historic Markers Across Florida

Myers Park Historic District

Marker ID: FLHM F-839
Location: Myers Park at Myers Park Dr and Van Buren St, Tallahassee, FL
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 25.951    W 084° 16.437
  30.43251666    -84.27395
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRE9T


Myers Park Historic District

(Side 1)
The Myers Park Historic District is near the remains of Hernando De Soto's winter encampment (1539-40) in the Apalachee capital of Anhaica, and was the site of the 17th century Spanish mission La Purificación de Tama. The residential district includes Country Club Estates, parts of Woodland Drives and other subdivisions, Chapman Pond, Old Fort Park, Myers Park, and the Capital City Country Club and golf course. Reflective of the early 20th century City Beautiful Movement, the suburban setting and municipal green spaces create a park-like environment that has been home to civic and business leaders, Florida Supreme Court justices, cabinet members, state employees, college faculty and administrators, doctors, lawyers, and local officials. The low density neighborhood was carved largely from Lakeland Plantation, owned by the Edward Houston family. A portion of that land had belonged to Florida's first territorial governor, William Pope DuVal, whose home was near the modern tennis courts in Myers Park. Other acreage is from the Flavius and Lula Coles Farm, whose house from the late 19th century still stands on Oakland Avenue.

(Side 2)
Twentieth century development began in 1926 on the former Houston plantation in Country Club Estates. The planned suburb, with curvilinear streets and irregular lot shapes, is north of Palmer Avenue and between South Meridian Street and Golf Terrace Drive, which overlooked a nine-hole golf course. The green space of Myers Park, established in 1925, and the golf course were advertised as permanent assets. Developer R. H. Gibson gave free lots to the first four persons who agreed to build houses that cost at least $5,000. Among them were E. Peck Greene, a state chemist and landscape enthusiast, and Dexter Lowry, a former mayor and state senator who was president of the Capital City First National Bank. William G. Dodd, a dean at Florida State College for Women (FSCW), and his wife Josie built the fifth house in 1928, and others followed. George Perkins opened Woodland Drives east of the newly expanded municipal golf course and country club in the late 1930s. Early residents remembered living at the edge of the city, out in the country in the woods, with an easy commute to downtown Tallahassee and to FSCW, now Florida State University. The City of Tallahassee designated the area a local historic district in 2001.

The City of Tallahassee, Tallahassee Trust for Historic Preservation
and the Florida Department of State