Historic Markers Across Florida



Capital City Country Club



Marker ID: FLHM F-881
Location: 1601 Golf Terrace Dr, Tallahassee, FL
County: Leon
Coordinates: N 30° 25.503    W 084° 16.568
  30.42505    -84.27613333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMREA1
 



Text:

Capital City Country Club


After purchasing this land in 1912, George B. Perkins organized a golf club here. Perkins hired professional golf expert H. H. Barker to lay out the club’s scenic 9-hole course, which was completed in 1914. The Tallahassee Country Club, organized at The Grove in 1908, incorporated and purchased the golf course from Perkins in 1924. The club gave the property to the City of Tallahassee in 1935, stipulating that the city would improve and maintain it. That year, the city received a federal Works Progress Administration grant to expand the course to 18 holes. One of America’s foremost golf course architects, Albert W. Tillinghast, reviewed and commented on the expansion plans. Tillinghast designed some of the best golf courses in the United States, and is in the World Golf Hall of Fame. His feedback influenced the redesign of the entire course, and the Tallahassee Municipal Golf Course was completed within a few years. In a controversial decision in 1956, the city leased the golf course back to the Tallahassee Country Club, which then assigned their lease to the newly chartered Capital City Country Club. The golf course is in the Myers Park Historic District.

Capital City Country Club, Integrity Golf Company,
Jay Revell and the Florida Department of State