Historic Markers Across Florida



City of Madison



Marker ID: FLHM F-132
Location: South Rutledge at South Horry on City Hall grounds.
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 28.065    W 083° 24.828
  30.46775    -83.4138
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MB1
 



Text:

Madison was founded on land secured from Madison C. Livingston, May 2, 1838, and established as the county seat after its removal from San Pedro. An early political center, it was along the escape route of Confederate Secretary of War John C. Breckenridge in 1865. The town played a prominent role in the development of tobacco, livestock raising, and conservation in North Florida. Home of the North Florida Community College, the area´s economy is based on agriculture and industry. Sponsored by The Madison City Commission In Cooperation With Department of State - 1972