Historic Markers Across Florida



Pioneer Hickstown Baptist Church - First Baptist Church of Madison



Marker ID: FLHM F-175
Location: along U.S. 90.
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 28.155    W 083° 24.972
  30.46925    -83.4162
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MB4
 



Text:

Begun here for God´s glory in 1835, the church was named Madison Baptist Church in 1854 and received its present name in 1922. Founders were Abraham Moseley and R.J. Mays. Early pastors were B. Fiddler, W.B. Cooper, H.Z. Ardis, and first deacon Elisha Smith. The Florida Baptist Convention formed the State Board of Missions here December, 1880. Members were S.B. Thomas, Sr., J.M. Beggs, B.F. Wardlaw, C.W. Stephens, J.F.B. Mays, W.W. Hall, C.V. Waugh, T.E. Langley and W.N. Chaudoin.

Sponsored by The First Baptist Church of Madison In Cooperation With Department of State, Bureau of Historic Preservation - 1970


Notes:

City: Madison, FL