Historic Markers Across Florida



The town of Greenville (frontier Sandy Ford)



Marker ID: FLHM F-183
Location: one block south of U.S. 90 in front of Baptist Chu
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 24.184    W 083° 37.930
  30.40306666    -83.63216666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM79X5
 



Text:

Begun as Sandy Ford, 1850, Samuel Williams was the first postmaster in 1854. Called Station 5 on the Pensacola-Georgia R.R., the name Greenville, for Greenville, S.C., came in the 1860´s. Elijah Hays helped its expansion after 1876. Incorporated in 1907, W.D. Griffin was the first mayor. An orange producing center prior to 1895, its chief supports now are timber, cattle, and flue-cured tobacco.

Sponsored by The Town Council of Greenville In Cooperation With Department of State, Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties - 1971


Notes:

City: Greenville