Historic Markers Across Florida



Drew Mansion site / The Town of Ellaville



Marker ID: FLHM F-200
Location: Vicinity of Suwannee River State Park on U.S. 90
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 23.200    W 083° 10.512
  30.38666666    -83.1752
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFNMH
 



Text:

Located approximately one-half mile to the northwest is the site of the Drew Mansion, home of George F. Drew, Governor of Florida during the difficult period of readjustment following Civil War Reconstruction, 1877-1881. Built in the late 1860´s, the two story mansion with it´s beautiful color-matched oak parquet floors was surrounded by formal gardens and was one of the first homes in the area to have modern facilities. This once elegant landmark of Florida´s past was destroyed by fire in 1970. THE TOWN OF ELLAVILLE Closely related to the career of Governor George F. Drew was the sawmill and manufacturing complex of Ellaville, established by Drew in the mid-1860´s. The present Route 90 led through this town of several hundred people. The ruins of the sawmill are on the west bank of the Withlacoochee River near its confluence with the Suwannee. Ellaville flourished as long as Yellow Pine lasted. It declined after 1900 and ceased to exist when the Post Office closed in 1942.

Sponsored by The Family of Robert L. Millinor In Cooperation With Department of State


Notes:

City: near Ellaville