Historic Markers Across Florida



Concord Missionary Baptist Church Site of the Founding of the Florida Baptist Convention



Marker ID:  
Location: at the church on NW 140th St near NW Heron Dr., Madison, FL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 36.617    W 083° 32.120
  30.61028333    -83.53533333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHQW8
 



Text:

(Side 1)
For the glory of God, the church was constituted June 20, 1841. The charter members were: Richard J. and Eliza Mays; Joshua W.P. and Mary McCall; William T., Elizabeth and Harriet Johnson; black servants, Elbert, Phillis, Marmadore, April, Marshall and Nancy. Elders Alex Moseley and John Broome assisted in the constitution. The church and cemeteries are on 20 acres ofland given by Richard J. Mays. West Florida and Alachua Associational Delegates meeting with Florida Association here November 20, 1854, formed the Florida Baptist Convention.
(Cont´d on reverse side)

(Side 2)
Concord Church helped organize The Florida Baptist Association at Indian Springs March 2, 1843. It has had a prominent role in the Mercer Baptist Association. Very early it gave support to the Union Meetings and Christian Education. The Negro members lettered out and formed New Canaan Church under leadership of Horace Joseph shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War. Strong in leadership, firm in discipline, a monument to God´s Grace, Concord Church has been active for 132 consecutive years.

Sponsored by Concord Missionary Baptist Church in cooperation with the Madison County Historical Society 1973


Notes:

City: Madison, FL