Historic Markers Across Florida



The Wardlaw-Smith house



Marker ID: FLHM F-230
Location: U.S. 90 (Base and Washington Streets).
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 28.165    W 083° 24.894
  30.46941666    -83.4149
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MB6
 



Text:

The Wardlaw-Smith House was erected in the early 1860´s for Benjamin F. Wardlaw, a prominent local citizen. Following the Civil War Battle of Olustee in February, 1864, it served as a Confederate hospital. This fine example of Greek Revival architecture was acquired in 1871 by Chandler Holmes Smith in whose family it remained for a century. The architectural significance of the Wardlaw-Smith House has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey and it is listed in the prestigious National Register of Historic Places.

Sponsored By The Madison Rotary Club In Cooperation With Department of State - 1972


Notes:

City: Madison, FL