Historic Markers Across Florida



The Ellaville Post Office Frontier Columbus on the Suwannee River



Marker ID:  
Location: North Lake Francis Drive, Madison, FL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 28.112    W 083° 24.422
  30.46853333    -83.40703333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHQVX
 



Text:

Established at Columbus, February 17, 1842, moved across the Suwannee to serve a Sawmill Complex, 1867, the office became Ellaville, 1872. Some Postmasters were George F. Drew, 1867, 1883, Robert L. Millinor 1893,1912, Frederick Stroud, 1914,1922, Mrs. Pearl E. Noegel, the last, 1929,1942. Cited by Ripley as the Smallest Post Office in the World, and invested with the colorful romance of the Suwannee Valley, the building was presented to The Madison Garden Club by Mr. and Mrs. Van H. Priest.

Sponsored by The Madison Garden Club in cooperation with the Madison County Historical Society


Notes:

City: Madison, FL