Historic Markers Across Florida



First Baptist church 1898 sanctuary



Marker ID: FLHM F-296
Location: Orange & Pickney Streets.
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 28.117    W 083° 25.014
  30.46861666    -83.4169
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7N77
 



Text:

This structure represents an adaptation of the Queen Anne style of architecture to local ecclesiastical needs and traditional building materials. Both the stimulus for constructing a new sanctuary and the idea for its basic design are attributed to the Reverend Stephen Crockett, an Englishman who served as pastor at the time. Crockett´s design is unusual for the time and place; however, its most unusual facet remains hidden until the visitor enters: the interior plan is octagonal. The sanctuary was moved to this location in 1956. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Sponsored by First Baptist Church, Madison, Florida in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Madison, FL