Historic Markers Across Florida



Shiloh Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: on County Road 205th St, Maidson, FL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 30° 37.070    W 083° 31.734
  30.61783333    -83.5289
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHQWG
 



Text:

(Side 1)
To The Glory of The Most High God a group of Christians led by the Reverend John Gramling organized Shiloh Methodist Church here, December 24, 1845. Born in 1785 in South Carolina, the son of German Emigrants Adam and Elizabeth Gassoway Gramling, Reverend Gramling and his family with his brother Christian Gramling came to Florida, in 1845. Their children were Andrew P., John H., Martha R. Reagan, Laviniah Rykard, Margaret Davis, Katherine, Adam D., Charles W., Joel F., and Frances T. Burnett. In addition to John and Elizabeth, other Shiloh Charter members were, John H. and Allys, William, Missouri, Misses Frances T., Laviniah, Katherine, Daniel, Charles, Louise A.,



(Side 2)
and Joel F. Gramling; John and Rebecca Reagan, their daughters Martha and Amanda; Reverend Elias and Margaret Davis, a Mr. Brooks, his wife, and daughter Missouri. Reverend Gramling served as the first Pastor for many years. Able Pastors have served through the years, including: A. Gardner, 1850's; W.J. Gray, 1905-1906; W.F. Wesley, 1926-1927; D. Lee Jones, 1932-1936; Ted Young, 1977---.The first Steward was Joel F. Gramling. Conference affiliations have been: The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1845; The United Methodist Church, 1968; and Southern Methodist, 1970. The influence of Shiloh Church, like all of God's Institutions, will reach to the Shores of Eternity.

Shiloh Church and the Gramling Family Reunion
in cooperation with the Madison County Historical Society