Historic Markers Across Florida



First Manatee County Courthouse / Manatee Methodist Church-Established 1849



Marker ID: FLHM F-137
Location: 15th Street East, Bradenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.794    W 082° 32.857
  27.49656666    -82.54761666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTQW0
 



Text:

First Manatee County Courthouse


Manatee County was created by legislative action signed January 9, 1855, from Hillsborough, St. Lucie, and Monroe Counties. Five years later, in 1860, Josiah Gates and Mary, his wife, deeded to Manatee County a parcel of land located here to be the county seat and a courthouse built thereon. The building was completed the same year at a cost of $700 and served as a courthouse and school until 1866 when the county seat was moved to Pine Level.


Manatee Methodist Church Established 1849


Oldest church of any denomination south of Tampa on Florida's west coast. Lot located here was sold to John W. Curry, Ezekiel Clazier and James G. Cooper in 1866 for the Manatee Methodist Church. It is believed that the church ownership of this represents the longest private ownership of land in Manatee County.






F-137 Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
in cooperation with
Manatee County Historical Society
1966



Notes:

City: Bradenton, FL