Historic Markers Across Florida



Palmetto Baptist Church / Dr. M.B. Harrison



Marker ID: FLHM F-153
Location: 5th Street West
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 30.889    W 082° 34.616
  27.51481666    -82.57693333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTQED
 



Text:

Palmetto Baptist Church



The Palmetto Baptist Church was organized on January 5, 1892, and a few months later its first building was erected on this site. The Reverend R.H. Whitehead, under whose leadership the church was constituted, became its first pastor. Dr. M.B. Harrison and W.H. Harrison were elected deacons. They also were named trustees, together with John W. Mitchell, M. C. Davis, and W.M. Rowlett. There were 22 charter members, 18 of who transferred from the Benevolence Baptist Church, then located on Frog Creek several miles north of Ellenton. The original frame structure was replaced by the present brick building in 1926.


Palmetto Baptist Church


Micajah Berry Harrison (1844-1912) was a native of Greenville County, South Carolina. He served 4 years in Hampton's Cavalry, CSA, and took part in 29 battles. He was a graduate of the South Carolina Medical College. Dr. Harrison moved to Alachua County, Florida, in 1875, to Oak Hill (Parrish) in 1880, and to Palmetto in 1889. He bought the house across the street in 1890, and resided there until his death. He was the first doctor on the north side of the river, the first Worshipful Master of the Palmetto Masonic Lodge, and President of the first Palmetto City Council.






F-153 The First Baptist Church of Palmetto
in cooperation with
Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
1968



Notes:

City: Palmetto