Historic Markers Across Florida



Manatee Academy



Marker ID:  
Location: on Manatee Ave at 17th St., Bradenton
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.757    W 082° 32.696
  27.49595    -82.54493333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2X99
 



Text:

The first advanced school erected in Manatee County was built about 200 feet east of this site on land deeded 15 August 1876 expressly for education and cultural purposes by Edmund Lee and his third wife, Elizabeth, to Trustees of the Joint Stock Company. The construction of the Academy was by private subscription, but it was maintained by public funds. No tuition was required. The school house was a single small frame one story rectangular building with a traditional bell housed in a cupola. The attic provided a meeting place for members of the Grange and Free Masons and was reached by outside stairs.

The building did not become public property until 18 September 1895 when it was deeded to the Trustees of Manatee County School District and their successors in office for a consideration of $400.00

ELECTA ARCOTTE LEE (born c.1807-died 1860) About 150 feet northeast of the Academy, Electa A. Lee taught the first school in Manatee County in the 1840´s and 1850´s. Mrs. Lee came to this area with her husband, Reverend Edmund Lee, a Presbyterian minister, in 1844. The private school was a room over her husband´s store which was attached to the Lee home. The fee was $5.00 per term.

The Manatee County Historical Society 1966


Notes:

City: Bradenton, FL