Historic Markers Across Florida



Braden Castle Ruins



Marker ID: FLHM F-191
Location: Braden Castle Village, Braden Castle Drive
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 30.021    W 082° 31.802
  27.50035    -82.53003333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2X9E
 



Text:

Dr. Joseph Addison Braden, physician and native Virginian, came from Tallahassee to the Manatee River in the early 1840´s. By 1850 he had acquired approximately 900 acres of land and built a steam operated sugar and grist mill. In that year using slave labor and local materials he constructed his "Castle" -- a large two-story structure. The walls were poured "tabby" composed of lime, sand, crushed shells and water. In February, 1856 the "Castle" was attacked unsuccessfully by Seminoles. Later abandoned, it was destroyed by a woods fire in 1903. The ruins were purchased by the Camping Tourists of America in 1924.

The Manatee County Historical Society in cooperation with Department of State - 1972


Notes:

City: Bradenton, FL