Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Braidentown's First Post Office



Marker ID:  
Location: on 12th St between 1st and 3rd Ave., Bradenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.874    W 082° 34.403
  27.4979    -82.57338333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3D2G
 



Text:

On May 9th, 1878 the establishment on this site of a United States Post Office known as Braidentown brought official recognition to a new community on the shores of Manatee River. The post office was located in a general store owned by Major William Irdell Turner, who served as the first postmaster. Major Turner, veteran of the Second Seminole War and the Civil War, and a Manatee County orange and vegetable grower purchased in 1877 seven acres of riverfront land where he built his store, warehouse and wharf, and, across this street, the Mansion House, his large two story home which also served as a hotel. At that time the bank of the Manatee River was approximately 60 feet North of this marker. River traffic made possible the shipment of agriculture products and opened a new era for Manatee County. The community was named for Dr. Joseph Braden, and early Manatee County resident, who, during ante-bellum days, built Fort Braden one block west of this site. When the name was sent to Washington, it was incorrectly spelled Braidentown. On Feburary 1, 1905, it was officially corrected to Bradentown, and on December 1, 1924 it was changed to Bradenton.

Sponsored by the Manatee County Historical Society


Notes:

City: Bradenton, FL
More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars