Historic Markers Across Florida



Snead Island/Seventh Day Adventist School



Marker ID:  
Location: 13th St west of 48th Ave, Palmetto
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 31.571    W 082° 37.044
  27.52618333    -82.6174
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2WR2
 



Text:

Side one:
"Snead Island takes its name from Edward Snead, who homesteaded 128 acres o the end of this 740-acre island in 1843. A federal project opened a navigable channel in 1898 through the shallow flats on the eastern end of the island connecting the Manatee River and Terra Ceia Bay. This channel, which became known as the "Cut-Off", saved several hours of travel time. A ferry connected Snead Island with the mainland. In 1907, Ed Pillsbury, who tended the two beacon lights at the mouth of the Manatee River, built the Pillsbury Boat Works. He and hs wife, Lorena, and their children had moved to the island from Fogartyville across the river. Lorena Pillsbury´s sister, Olive Mae, and her husband, Lonnie Campbell, a fisherman, followed the Pillsburys to the island."

Side two:

"The Pillsburys and the Campbells each had five children, most of whom attended school in the Pillsbury´s washhouse. The four sons of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Andress joined them. Esther Mae Mikkelsen was employed as the school´s first teacher. In 1914, George H. Judd donated a lot of lumber for the construction of a community schoo, which became known as the Seventh Day Adventist School. A small group of Seventh Day Adventists from Michigan had settled in the area in March 1885 creating the first Seventh Day Adventist Church in the state. The new schoolhouse was a white frame one-room building. A small stove provided heat. The teacher received $45 per month in wages. Zela Stewart joined Esther Mikkelsen to teach in the new school building. The schoolhouse served the community until 1942 when students were transferred to Palmetto Elementary School.

The Manatee County Historical Commission with the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners - 2005


Notes:

City: Palmetto