Historic Markers Across Florida



The Town of Manatee



Marker ID:  
Location: Manatee Ave E at 9th St E.
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.714    W 082° 33.292
  27.49523333    -82.55486666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTRF6
 



Text:

The Town of Manatee


(side 1)
The Town of Manatee was officially chartered on June 19, 1903. This intersection of Central Street (present day 9th Street East) and Manatee Avenue became the heart of the town’s business district after the arrival of the Florida West Shore Railway on December 12, 1902. A small railroad depot was constructed at the southwest corner. On October 1, 1903, the Central Hotel opened on the southeast corner with the Manatee Drug company occupying its first floor. The shop became known as Pelot’s Pharmacy after its owners, John J. Pelot and his son, J. Crews Pelot. The two-story concrete block building on the northeast corner was built in 1912 and housed many businesses over the years including Currey’s Drug Store, a grocery store and the Manatee Paper Company. The wooden two-story building just to its east held the E.P. Lloyd Cigar Factory, and later, in the mid 1930s, Paul’s Bake Shop, owned by Paul and Willie Mae Turbeville.


(side 2)
The large brick building on the northwest corner was officially dedicated on July 4, 1910. Called the Davis Building after its developer, Captain Christopher H. Davis, it held a variety of businesses and meeting areas including the Manatee County Supply Company, Davis Hall, which was used for operas and plays, a Masonic Hall, a post office, and the Manatee County Banking Company. In 1934, Pelot’s Pharmacy moved across the street into the space once occupied by the Manatee County Supply Company. Due to financial difficulties, the town was forced to decide between bankruptcy or consolidation with the City of Bradenton. In late 1943, residents voted to merge and on January 1, 1944, the Town of Manatee ceased to exist. It is said that the loss of their identity was felt so greatly that the residents wore black armbands in mourning.






Manatee County Historical Commission
in Cooperation with the
Manatee County Board of County Commissioners
2002