Historic Markers Across Florida



Lincoln High School



Marker ID:  
Location: US 41 and 10th Ave Dr., Bradenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.440    W 082° 33.796
  27.49066666    -82.56326666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTRF7
 



Text:

Lincoln High School


The Manatee County Board of Public Instruction purchased property from Mr. Alden J. Adams on July 25, 1914, and from Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Singletary on May 17, 1922, “for the purposes of a school for Negro children.” The old Manatee County Courthouse was purchased July 7, 1914, for the sum of $500, and was moved to the site at 1001 First Street about 1914 or 1915. The school was name Lincoln Academy. Principal, Mr. W. A. Rochell led the school from 1914 to 1917. It was later named Lincoln High School and served all the Black High School students in Manatee County. Eventually, two other buildings were added to the site. A one-story structure served elementary classes and a two-story building had a bridge to the original building. In 1945, students were moved to another building in Manatee, which housed the first Black High School until 1948 when Lincoln High School was consolidated with the all Black Memorial High School in Palmetto.






Manatee County Historical Commission
with the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners
2005