Historic Markers Across Florida



Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg



Marker ID:  
Location: Riverview Blvd W and 26th St W., Bradenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.999    W 082° 35.249
  27.49998333    -82.58748333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTTTZ
 



Text:

Former Town of Fogartyville


This marker stands on the eastern boundary of Fogartyville, a town founded on land acquired under the Homestead Act after the War Between the States by Fogarty bros., Capt. Bartholomew (Tole), John and William. Ample timber supplies for shipbuilding and access to Coastal schooner trade attracted the Fogartys to settle between here and McLewis Bayou. Prior to being incorporated into Braidentown (now Bradenton) in 1903, it had a large general store (built and operated by Capt. Tole), dairy, small bakery, two churches and a cemetery. All that remains now are the cemetery and home Capt. Tole built on the Manatee River in 1871.


Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg


Wilhelmsenburg was bound on the west by 26th Street (Sarasota Avenue) and south by Manatee Avenue. John P. Wilhelmsen (Willemsen), first settler west of Ware's Creek, founded the town giving land for its first public school, the Wilhelmsen Academy, and the County's first Episcopal Church, Christ Episcopal Church. The 1889 Church stood on the south corner of 26th Street at 3rd Avenue adjoined on the south by the 1887 Academy. North of the marker is the site of John Graham's Manatee Light and Traction Company's turning dock for the trolley which connected Main Street, Manatee with Fogartyville.


Manatee County Historical Society 1986



Notes:

City: Bradenton