Historic Markers Across Florida



The 1887 Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Manatee Village Historical Park, 1404 Manatee Ave E, Bradenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.671    W 082° 32.85
  27.49451666    -82.5475
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVC6A
 



Text:

The 1887 Church



Construction of this historic church was started in 1887. Completion was delayed until 1889 due to a yellow fever epidemic which claimed the lives of the pastor and many members of the congregation. Used to house the first Christian congregation south of Tampa on the Florida mainland, it served as a place of worship for 85 years. Donated by the Manatee United Methodist Church, it was moved two blocks to the Manatee Village Historical park in 1975. A United States Bi-Centennial preservation project, the church is restored to its original size and configuration. Dedicated on July 4, 1976, the church is across from the Manatee Burying Ground were many of the original congregation are buried.

The circular stained glass window over the pulpit is original to the church. This design, usually referred to as a Star of David, is also called a Star of Creation. A very popular Christian symbol in the 1880's, it is frequently found in nineteenth century churches.

The church remains a consecrated house of worship and is frequently used for baptisms, weddings, memorial services and other religious events.

Manatee Village Historical Park