Historic Markers Across Florida



The Bunker Hill School



Marker ID:  
Location: Manatee Village Historical Park, 1404 Manatee Ave E, Bradenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.658    W 082° 32.867
  27.4943    -82.54778333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVCCH
 



Text:

The Bunker Hill School


Throughout America, the one-room schoolhouse was a fixture and the educational mainstay for many years.
This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1908 to serve the community of Bunker Hill, which is located in the northeast corner of Manatee County. The school was accepted by the Manatee Historical Commission to be moved to the Park as a memorial to Benjamin David (B.D.) Gullett by his daughter, Sallie Gullett Bradley. Mr. Gullett was a teacher and Supervisor of Education for a total thirty-seven years.

The school served the Bunker Hill area from 1908 until 1929. It was located beside the present-day Bunker Hill Baptist Church. There were from ten to twenty-five students attending during the school-year which ran from August through December in the early years and eventually was increased to seven and then nine months. Classes began at 8:00 A.M. and were dismissed at 4:30 P.M. Students were from six to twenty-one years of age and from the 1st through 8th grade. Teachers were changed quite often. Food was not provided by the school, but was brought each day by the students in a lunchpail and was usually staple food that was normally served on the family table.

The school was acquired by B.D. Gullett in 1929, dismantled and moved to his property near Duette. It served as a home for Mr. Gullett and later his daughter, Sallie Gullett Bradley, for sixty years.

Manatee Village Historical Park