Historic Markers Across Florida



Bradenton Depot



Marker ID: FLHM F-500
Location: on Manatee Ave at the tracks, east of 5th St., Bradenton
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.723    W 082° 34.039
  27.49538333    -82.56731666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM28XK
 



Text:

The Atlantic Coastline Railroad Company Passenger and Freight Depot Bradentown Florida, built c. 1925, became the Bradenton Depot when Bradentown dropped the "w" from its name. The historical significance on local and state levels was tremendous as its completion created a terminus of rail, road and water travel in Southwest Florida, connecting freight shipments from the piers on the Manatee River and shipping of agricultural products north, along with bringing passengers and tourists south during the expansion boom. The depot served the area from the time of the economic boom, through the depression, up to and including the great Florida growth period. Its era of significance was from 1925 to 1952. The 9,000-square-foot Mission/Spanish Colonial Style Revival building was constructed at a cost of approximately $80,000 and still stands on its original location. The building fell into disrepair in the 1990s, with the roof falling in and facing condemnation. It was purchased by Daniel B. Pope, M.D., of Bradenton. With a great love of railroad tradition, he brought the depot back to its original glory with red tiled roof, and white stucco trimmed in red brick.

Bradenton Depot Investment Company and the Florida Department of State - 2004


Notes:

City: Bradenton, FL