Historic Markers Across Florida



History of Library Site



Marker ID:  
Location: 1301 1st Ave West, Brandenton, FL
County: Manatee
Coordinates: N 27° 29.923    W 082° 34.483
  27.49871666    -82.57471666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVF6D
 



Text:

History of Library Site


The land on which this building stands was acquired by Joseph Addison Braden under U.S. Patent Certificate No. 508 issued May 15, 1852. It was subsequently acquired by two owners. A small part along 13th Street West was purchased by Sarah J. Duckwall in May 1892 and given to her daughter Sadie who built a stone block house and lived there until she sold the property and moved to Tampa in the 1940's after the death of her second husband. In 1885 the balance of the property was purchased by Samuel Stanton who built on the eastern half a large two story frame house which was his home until January 1905 when it was purchased by Dr. F.C. Whitaker whose home it was until he died in 1945. In 1903 the western half of the property was sold by Samuel Stanton to his son Ward who was a marine artist lost in the Titanic disaster of 1912. The property had been sold by him in 1910. A more detailed history with photographs is on file in the Elizabeth Eaton History Room of the Central Library.
Text by A.K. Whitaker