Historic Markers Across Florida



Sewall's Point



Marker ID:  
Location: on South Sewall's Point Rd south of Southeast Ocean Blvd, Stuart. FL
County: Martin
Coordinates: N 27° 12.135    W 080° 12.002
  27.20225    -80.20003333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Sewall's Point

Sewall's Point, with high fertile hammocks situated between the St. Lucie and Indian rivers, attracted this area's earliest settlers. These pioneers cleared the land, planted pineapples, and citrus, and traveled to Titusville by sailboat for supplies.

In the 1890s most of the peninsula was divided into ten acre tracts that were soon purchased by wealthy Northerners who built their winter homes. Caretakers lived on the estates year round, and the owners came only during the season to enjoy the warmth, boating, fishing and socializing.

When the railroad and automobile replaced boats as the common mode of travel, Sewall's Point became relatively isolated. This ended in 1957 with the construction of the bridges to the ocean, and soon the river-to-river estates were being subdivided. Tolls were removed from the bridges in 1961, and the bridges were formally named in 1965.

In order to ensure and maintain a high quality residential community, foresighted individuals petitioned the Florida Legislature for incorporation, and on June 5th 1957, the Town of Sewall's Point was granted its charter.





Installed By The Sewall's Point Commission in 1999