Historic Markers Across Florida



The Bakers of Waveland



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Indialucie Parkway and North Sewall's Point Rd, Stuart, FL
County: Martin
Coordinates: N 27° 12.305    W 080° 12.121
  27.20508333    -80.20201666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Bakers of Waveland


Sewall's Point, with high fertile hammocks situated between the St. Lucie and Indian rivers, Dr. William H. Baker and his family settled here in 1880 and named the place Waveland. Their home was the first permanent residence in what is Martin County today, and Waveland was prominent on Florida maps for many years. The section line that served as the old Dade/Brevard county line was just north of the Baker home and in the later years divided St Lucie and Palm Beach counties.

The Baker home was the polling place for the northern most precinct of Dade County as well as the location of the Waveland Post Office, established in 1880. After William Bakers death in 1893, the Waveland postal duties were assumed by families who lived north of the county line, making the Waveland Post Office, originally in Dade County, a Brevard Post Office. The Waveland Post Office was discontinued in 1905.






Installed By The Sewall's Point Commission in 2000