Historic Markers Across Florida



Camp Murphy Site



Marker ID: FLHM F-624
Location: Jonathan Dickinson State Park
County: Martin
Coordinates: N 27° 01.014    W 080° 06.628
  27.0169    -80.11046666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3W05
 



Text:

In 1942 the federal government opened Camp Murphy. It was the home of the Southern Signal Corps School during WWII and served as a US Army base for instruction in radar operation in the early course of the war. The post was named in honor of Lt. Col. William Herbert Murphy, a pioneer in the development of radio beams and equipment for military aircraft. Camp Murphy consisted of 11,364 acres and accommodated 854 officers and 5,752 enlisted men. The camp had close to 1,000 buildings that included a bank, movie theater, church and bowling alley. Camp Murphy was officially decommissioned in 1944 and used for migrant housing during the fall and winter of 1945. Buildings not already dismantled after the camp´s deactivation were sold and carted away beginning in 1948. On June 9, 1947, the property was transferred from the US Govt. to the State of Florida for a State Park. In 1950 Jonathan Dickinson State Park opened to the public.

Friends of Jonathan Dickinson State Park and the Florida Dept. of State - 2008


Notes:

City: Hobe Sound