Historic Markers Across Florida



Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: Devon Road, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 43.407    W 080° 14.922
  25.72345    -80.2487
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMXKZ3
 



Text:

Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company


The Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company was established in 1916 by William Matheson and his son Hugh to provide local residents with telephone and water services. A ground level storage tank, filled from wells on the site by two diesel engines, furnished water to the Grove until 1925 when a new plant was built at 3575 S. LeJeune Road. The telephone franchise, which began with only six customers, was serving nearly 300 subscribers in 1925 when it was purchased by Southern Bell. The building adjacent to the storage tank housed the telephone exchange and was occupied by the company superintendent from 1921 until 1935.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank S. Longshore
in cooperation with the Historical Association of Southern Florida



Notes:

City: Miami, FL