Historic Markers Across Florida



Arch Creek



Marker ID:  
Location: Near N. E. 18th Avenue & 135th Street N., Miami
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 54.036    W 080° 09.746
  25.9006    -80.16243333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZV1
 



Text:

Until 1973, when it collapsed, the forty foot natural bridge of oolitic limestone that spanned Arch Creek was one of South Florida´s earliest landmarks. Prehistoric Indians occupied this site hundreds of years before European exploration. In the early 1800s, Seminole Indians lived in the area until forced out by United States soldiers during the Second (1836-42) Seminole War. During the Third (1855-59) Seminole War a military trail connecting Ft. Dallas and Ft. Lauderdale passed over the bridge. In 1892 the first country road to South Florida crossed here, as did the Dixie Highway, which opened in 1915. In the past, this natural bridge has attracted both tourists and settlers. A community known as Arch Creek grew up around the Arch Creek station of the Florida East Coast Railroad. By 1903 there were sufficient settlers to warrant the opening of the Arch Creek Post Office, which later became the North Miami Post Office.

Sponsored by the Northeast Miami Junior Woman´s Club, Keystone Point Homeowners Association, and the North Miami Parks, Recreation and Beautification Board in Cooperation with the Historical Association of Southeast Florida


Notes:

City: Miami, FL
More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars