Historic Markers Across Florida



Biscayne



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: At the park on bay, N.E. 96th Street, Miami Shores
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In the early 1870s, William H. Gleason and William H. Hunt moved up the bay from Miami and founded the community of Biscayne. They brought with them the Miami Post Office, renaming it the Biscayne Post Office. Since the Dade County Court was wherever Gleason was, Biscayne was often the county seat and the meeting place of the county commission. Ephraim T. Sturtevant, Andrew Price, Edward Barnott and Dr. Richard B. Potter were other settlers of Biscayne. One early visitor was Julia Tuttle, the daughter of Sturtevant and the "Mother of Miami." By the 1880s, many of the early residents were gone and the post office was closed in 1888.

Activity was renewed in Biscayne in 1892 with the building of the first county road, from Lantana to Lemon City, through Biscayne, and the post office was reopened. Later a railroad depot and a school were built. In the 1920s, Miami Shores was developed where the community of Biscayne once stood.

Sponsored by Eastern Airlines in cooperation with the Historical Association of Southern Florida