Historic Markers Across Florida



Biscayne House Of Refuge



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: In North Shore Park, 72nd Street & Collins Avenue, Miami Beach
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Here stood the Biscayne House of Refuge to save survivors of shipwrecks from the perils of the wilderness shore.

After every storm, the keeper of the refuge and his family searched the beach for castaways, to furnish them food, clothing and shelter and a safe return to civilization.

Established in 1876 by the Life Saving Service, a predecessor of the U.S. Coast Guard, the refuge remained "Semper Paratus" until modern settlement replaced the lonely jungle.

Other U.S. Government houses of refuge on the then desolate Florida coast were at Ft.

Lauderdale, Orange Grove (Delray Beach), Gilbert´s Bar (Stuart) and Indian River Inlet (Vero Beach).

Historical Association of Southern Florida 1958


Notes:

City: Miami Beach, FL