Historic Markers Across Florida



Coral Gables Waterway



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: At the Cartagena Plaza, on 42nd Ave, Coral Gables, FL.
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 42.348    W 080° 15.637
  25.7058    -80.26061666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM408B
 



Text:

When developer George Merrick (1886-1942) and the Coral Gables Corporation conceived the master plan for Coral Gables in the 1920s, the city´s boundaries encompassed waterfront acreage allowing access to waterways. The original city boundaries went from Key Biscayne, south to Soldier Key and then back to the coastal wetlands called Chapman Field Park. Merrick´s promotional brochures advertised his new city as "Forty Miles of Waterfront" offering a ride in a gondola (narrow boat with curved ends used on the canals in Venice) from the Biltmore Hotel to Tahiti Beach (now part of the Cocoplum neighborhood). Although his grand vision was not realized due to the 1926 land bust, the Coral Gables Waterway has endured. The eight-mile-long waterway cuts west from Biscayne Bay to the intersection at Cartagena Plaza, then curves north, paralleling Riviera Drive on its way to the Biltmore Golf Course. It also connects the waterway´s western loop through the University of Miami campus and the Mahi Waterway. The Coral Gables Waterway today has rugged limestone that rises up to 20 feet or more to the crossing beneath the LeJeune Road Bridge.

Sponsored by: Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Coral Gables, FL