Historic Markers Across Florida



First Telephone Exchange



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: wall of Southern Bell Telephone's Miami Office, N.E. 2nd Street
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Greater Miami´s first telephone exchange began operating near this site early in 1899.
The city of Miami granted a franchise in December, 1898 and the Miami Telephone Company was incorporated in February, 1899. The first switchboard exchange was in a drugstore at Miami Ave. and S. W. 1st Street. The exchange was later moved to a building on the south side of Flagler Street in the block east of Miami Avenue. Lines were quickly extended to Lemon City and Coconut Grove. The company provided the first music to be broadcast in the area from the switchboard to subscribers who listened on their telephones. In June, 1917, with some 2,000 subscribers this company and Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Co. formed the South Atlantic Telephone Company. The exchange became part of the Southern Bell Company December 31, 1924.

Historical Association of Southern Florida 1966


Notes:

City: Miami, FL