Historic Markers Across Florida



Grace Methodist Church



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: 6501 North Miami Ave., Miami.
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Oldest Church in continuous service in Dade County. This sanctuary, built in 1859, is the third. The second was built in 1905 at 6311 N.E. 2nd Ave. after a hurricane destroyed the first. Original church was built in 1893 where an Indian trail crossed Military Trail (N.E. 61st St. and 5th Ave.) in Lemon City. The church was named Lemon City Methodist by its founders who had met for several years in Pierce´s sponge warehouse on Biscayne bay. This pioneer church was renamed Grace in 1934, nine years after Lemon City became part of Miami.

The Historical Association of Southern Florida 1959


Notes:

City: Miami, FL