Historic Markers Across Florida



Lemon City Library



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: N.E. 6th Street & 4th Court, Miami.
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Oldest public library in South Florida. Opened April 7, 1894, by Lemon City Library and Improvement Association in Lemon city, then the largest settlement in Dade County. The first library building was on present N.E. 63rd Street near Biscayne Bay. On May 10, 1902, the library was moved into its second building 65 feet west of this marker. That historic edifice (demolished in 1964) was also used for county, wide socials, plays, public forums, religious services. On Feb. 26, 1942, this pioneer library became a branch of Miami Public Library. On July 1, 1963, it was moved into the present building.

Historical Association of Southern Florida - 1964


Notes:

City: Miami, FL